monday's muse: kyle ledeboer


photog cred: terry richardson



flip through any major fashion publication and you'll be sure to easily spot today's muse, kyle ledeboer (next models LA). back in september, i even posted about the brian atwood fall ad - little did i know about a month later i'd be chatting with him about life. 
with great charisma, style and humility, kyle lives his life to the fullest and genuinely enjoys what he does. by far one of the sweetest and most professional lads i've met in the industry...


q: i suppose the first question will be the most obvious: what got you started in modeling?
a: funny you asked this one, i’m one of those weird cases where modeling is something i decided i wanted to do on my own, versus someone who randomly got scouted. i used to weigh 220 pounds, and my idea of “nutritious food” was the dollar menu at wendy’s. i was going to college part time, got a job as a personal trainer and the weight started coming off, it was then i began testing with local photographers in phoenix, arizona while submitting the photos to new york agencies. after a year and a half of getting turned down, i finally had an agency tell me “yes!” in three months, i dropped out of school, sold my car, and booked a one-way ticket to new york city.


q: wow! and since then you've become quite the traveler. even your blog traveling in the moment chronicles your life. tell me, which city has been your favorite and why?
a: london is, and always will be, one of my favorite cities to work in – despite the weather and the power of the british pound sterling to our american dollar. i love my agency there, and the city is always really clean… and it’s great that they speak english! pair that with the historic pubs and worldly culture of a vibrant city that’s been around forever, you get a pretty wicked combination.


q: agreed. having gone back to londontown this summer, it really is a magical city. so you've traveled the world, have shot with the most noted photographers, have landed numerous dream jobs and yet you're genuinely a cool and grounded guy. how do do you keep your feet on the ground?
a: i attribute my “staying grounded” to my humble midwest beginnings. the older i get, the more i find myself getting back to my roots. i enjoy bass fishing with my dad more then just about anything else in the world. i also spend the majority of my time focusing on other things i’m passionate about. for example, photography is something that i can’t live with out doing on a daily basis. when i’m not in front of the lens, i have to be behind it!


q: your photography is pretty stellar. is this something you see yourself pursuing? where do you see yourself in five years?
a: five years is a LONG time, and the majority of my goals are much more short term. though i can say one of my 10-year goals is to be a photographer for national geographic. in five years, i would like to have the company i’m in the process of starting (it’s a secret) be established and thriving. honestly, i’m just grateful for every opportunity i’ve been given. these days working consistently in this inconsistent economy is an ambitious goal. i’d also like to spend more time with my family. living out of a suitcase for the past five years has kept me away from them which is unfortunate because we’re really close. i’ve had to make a lot of sacrifices in order to continue to follow my dreams and see the success i have seen. i also know that my recent move to los angeles has created the opportunity for many more goals that i’ve yet to discover.

and there you have it! thanks kyle for the interview and needless to say: welcome to LA - and vicariousLA!


0 comments:

Post a Comment